Tax Section members have access to a number of benefits. If you’re not already a member, join now for only $40.00 to take advantage of:
- 24/7 Free CLE Library. We have a 24/7 free CLE library full of audio and video programs accessible at any time to Tax Section members on our website. The library contains “nuts and bolts” and advanced programs in a wide variety of tax specialty areas, as well as ethics. The library is continually updated with new programs throughout the year. Tax Section members can earn all of their MCLE credit for free with our 24/7 library!
- Live CLE Programs. The Tax Section conducts several in-person CLE programs each year, including Tax Law in a Day, Annual Property Tax Conference, the International Tax Symposium, and the Tax Section Annual Meeting. In addition, the Tax Section co-sponsors annually.
- First Wednesday Tax Update. The Tax Section is excited to offer its free monthly webcast called First Wednesday Tax Update. These webcasts are on the first Wednesday of most months and focus on recent developments in Federal Income Taxation. They are presented by Professor Bruce McGovern, Professor of Law and Director, Tax Clinic, South Texas College of Law Houston. If you miss an update, check back in two weeks in the Tax Section’s 24/7 online library, where each update is archived.
- Networking Events. Membership in the Texas Tax Section offers opportunities to meet and meet and interact with other tax lawyers at various functions and CLE programs. Tax Law is too difficult to practice without a network.
- Leadership Academy. Check out the website to learn more about the leadership Academy program.
- Government Submissions. The Tax Section seeks to improve the substance and administration of federal, state, and local tax laws by regularly commenting, when invited, on regulations, and rulings.
- Member Updates and Communications. The Tax Section sends regular emails to members with information about upcoming events and other Tax Section news. These emails also keep members informed on the many ways to get involved in Tax Section activities.
- Committees. We have committees for many area of tax expertise. We also have committees focused on more broad topics such as the Small Firm and Solo Practitioner Committee. Committees assist with writing and soliciting articles for the Texas Tax Lawyer, commenting on regulations and rulings, planning our various CLE events, making recordings for the 24/7 CLE library, among many other activities. Serving on a committee is a great way to get involved, network, and meet new people. Check out our website to view a complete list of committees and join online!
- Texas Tax Lawyer. We publish three issues of the Texas Tax Lawyer each year, which is distributed electronically to Tax Section members. The Texas Tax Lawyer provides a wealth of information in the form of current development updates, articles on hot topics and on a variety of tax specialty subjects, annotated forms and agreements, copies of completed government submission projects, and news and updates about the Tax Section. The current edition of the Texas Tax Lawyer, as well as archives going back to 2000, are available on our website.
- Outstanding Texas Tax Lawyer Award. This award memorializes and honors the contributions of our state’s most prestigious tax lawyers. Tax Section members are invited to make nominations at the beginning of each year. The award is presented in June at the Tax Section Annual Meeting. Check out our website to see a list of past recipients of this highly celebrated award.
- Pro Bono Programs. Tax Section volunteers assist pro se taxpayers during Tax Court calendar calls in Dallas, Houston, Lubbock, El Paso, and San Antonio. We also participate with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program, which offers free tax help to low-to-moderate income families, persons with disabilities, the elderly, and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their tax returns. In addition, through the VITA Adopt-a-Base Program, Tax Section volunteers help train service members to be volunteer tax return preparers for members of the armed forces and their families. All Tax Section members are encouraged to volunteer!
- Texas Tax Legends. Our Tax Legends video library preserves and shares the perspectives of legendary Texas tax lawyers. The recordings provide insightful conversations about their backgrounds, interesting stories, and thoughts on changes and the future of the tax profession. The complete Texas Tax Legends video library can be found on our website.
- Law School Outreach. The Tax Section holds luncheons each year at law schools throughout Texas to educate students on the practice of tax law. We also award up to three law student scholarships each year for demonstrated excellence and a desire to practice in the field of tax law. We are always in need of volunteers to help with these important initiatives!
We encourage you to join today!