Who We Are? The State Bar of Texas Tax Section is Texas' only statewide tax bar association. The Tax Section currently has over 2,200 members.
How to Join the Tax Section?
Dues are $35.00 for membership from June 1 through May 31. A free two-year membership is provided to newly licensed Texas attorneys. Free memberships are also provided to law students
in accredited Texas law schools. Join today!
What are the Member Benefits?
The Tax Section offers many member benefits including a 24/7 free CLE library where Tax Section members can earn all of their MCLE credits each year. Check out a full list of member benefits!
What about Solo and Small Firm Practitioners?
Many of our Tax Section members are solo and small firm practitioners. Through our Solo and Small Firm Committee, the Tax Section seeks to coordinate projects and resources with solo and small firm practitioners, solicit participation, and communicate with and study the needs of solo and small firm practitioners. Learn more!
What CLEs are Offered?
We have a 24/7 free CLE library full audio and video programs accessible at any time to Tax Section members so that Tax Section members can earn all of their MCLE credit for free. View the library!
The Tax Section also conducts and sponsors several live CLE programs each year. Check out upcoming live CLE events on our website!
How Is the Tax Section Governed?
The Tax Section is governed by four elected officers (Chair, Chair-Elect, Secretary, and Treasurer), elected and appointed council members, as well as chairs and vice-chairs of over twenty different committees and task forces. View our organization chart
, our Officer and Council Leadership Roster
, and our Roster of Committee Chairs, Vice Chairs, and Task Forces.
How Can I Meet People and Get Involved?
* Join a Committee
: Committees assist with writing and soliciting articles for the Texas Tax Lawyer, preparing government submission letters, planning our various CLE events, making recordings for the 24/7 CLE library, among many other activities. Serving on a committee is a great way to get involved, network, and meet new people. Any Tax Section member can join a committee. Join online today!
* Apply for our Leadership Program
: The Tax Section sponsors a Leadership Academy program every other year to instill leadership skills and help guide the next generation of Texas tax lawyers in taking ownership of their careers. Applications for the next Leadership Academy class will be available in Fall 2015. View requirements and learn more!
* Attend a Networking Event: New this year! We our expanding our member outreach initiatives. We are adding networking receptions to our live CLE events and will hold other networking functions throughout the year. Tax law is too difficult to practice without a network of professional relationships and friends. Tax Section members receive email updates on upcoming events!
* Volunteer to Help Pro Se Taxpayers
: Tax Section volunteers assist pro se taxpayers during Tax Court calendar calls in Dallas, Houston, Lubbock, El Paso, and San Antonio. We also participate with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program. In addition, through the VITA Adopt-a-Base Program, Tax Section volunteers help train service members to be volunteer tax return preparers for members of the armed forces and their families. Volunteer today!
* Help Prepare Government Submission Letters
: The Tax Section seeks to improve the substance and administration of federal, state, and local tax laws by regularly commenting on proposed legislation, regulations, and policies. Learn how to get involved!
* Volunteer with our Law School Outreach Program: The Tax Section holds luncheons each year at law schools throughout Texas to educate students on the practice of tax law. We also award up to three law student scholarships each year for demonstrated excellence and a desire to practice in the field of tax law. Volunteer to get involved today!